Here are some tips to save energy and heating costs in your home this winter:
- Caulk around windows
- Weatherstrip around doors
- Add insulation where there may be little or none (between attached garage and the main house, in the attic and/or basement)
- Insulate your pipes
- Insulate your hot water heater
- Keep your water heater at 120º (you can keep it lower than this if you don’t have a dishwasher)
- Ceiling fans circulate warm air that collects at the ceiling back down into the room
- Lower your thermostat. For every 1º of temperature you deduct, you save 3% of your heating cost.
- Look for the Energy Star® label on any new major appliance you consider purchasing.
- Use LED light bulbs – they use less energy of a conventional bulb
- Get a heating system check and tune-up, including filter replacement. Spending a few dollars now may save major headaches down the road
- If you home has multiple heating zones, lower the temperature in the zone(s) you least often occupy
- Use your drapes to control temperature. Open them to allow in the warm sun during the day and close them at night to keep out cold air.
- Re-arrange your furniture. Do you have a bookcase blocking a heating vent or a large upholstered chair over a vent? These can keep your heat from reaching the rest of the room.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat. You can program it to warm your home when you’re there and cool down your home at night or when you’re away.
- Consider upgrading your windows.
- Purchase a humidifier – moist air feels warmer than dry air.
- Limit your use of ventilation fans in your kitchen and bath – these fans can draw the warm air out of a house in about an hour.
- Wash your clothes in cold water whenever possible.
For information on this article, or if you have any real estate questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me today.
Kellie Kieley, Associate Real Estate Broker
Cell: 518-225-0454 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Featured Home of the Month
3012 Morgan Court, Guilderland, NY
$323,800 – 4 BR • 2.5 Baths • 2250 sqft.
This Meticulously Maintained Colonial Sits on a .57 Acre Premium Cul De Sac Lot in A Family Friendly Neighborhood.
Features Inc: An Eat-In Kitchen Overlooking The Family Room w Fireplace, Vaulted Ceilings, & Plentiful Natural light – Perfect For Entertaining! 4 Bedrooms, The Master With A WI Closet & Master Bath, A Spacious DR & LR, & 1st Flr Laundry! Enjoy the Fully Fenced, Level & Peaceful Back Yard From Your Deck or Patio!
Newer Roof, Furnace, AC and H2O Heater.
Guilderland Schools – Pinebush Elementary
Close to Thruway & I-890