Guilderland, NY- Your home is your largest investment. Here are a few tips to get it ready for the cooler temperatures.
Call a heating and cooling professional to inspect your furnace and clean ducts.
Change your furnace filter every month it is in use.
Install a programmable thermostat if you don’t already have one.
Keep the area around your furnace clear.
- Have your chimney professionally cleaned if it hasn’t been for a while.
- Now is the time to chop or purchase firewood, and order propane if you use it.
- Store firewood at least 30 feet from your house.
WINDOWS AND DOORS
- Use weather stripping around doors and caulk around windows to prevent cold air from coming in.
- Replace cracked glass in windows or doors.
ROOF, GUTTERS and DOWNSPOUTS
- Clean out gutters to clear away debris.
- Consider installing leaf guards or gutter helmets to keep debris out, and put extensions on your downspouts to direct water away from your home.
- Replace any worn roof shingles or tiles.
- Check flashing to make sure that no water can enter your home.
- Drain gas from your lawnmower.
- Service or get a tune-up for your snow blower.
- Clear and store warm weather gardening equipment.
- Rake away debris and vegetation from the foundation, and seal up gaps and cracks.
SMOKE AND CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS
- Test your detectors to make sure they work. Replace fire extinguishers that are older than 10 years.
- Replace the batteries when you change the clocks – it’s a great way to remember to do it every year.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector near your furnace and/or water heater, and on each floor of your home.
- Know where your water main is in case of emergency!
- Insulate exposed plumbing pipes.
- Drain air conditioner pipes and turn off the water shut-off valve if there is one.
LANDSCAPING AND OUTDOORS
- Trim tree branches that hang too close to the house.
- Seal driveways, brick patios and wood decks.
- Enjoy the crispness of the Fall season, and with your house in good shape, the cooler temperatures will be a breeze!
For information on this article, or if you have any real estate questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me today.
Attention Georgetown Square Owners: I have qualified and serious buyers. If you are considering selling please call me.