Guilderland, NY- Your home is your largest investment. Here are a few tips to get it ready for the cooler temperatures.
Call a heating and cooling professional to inspect your furnace and clean ducts.
Change your furnace filter every month it is in use.
Install a programmable thermostat if you don’t already have one.
Keep the area around your furnace clear.
- Have your chimney professionally cleaned if it hasn’t been for a while.
- Now is the time to chop or purchase firewood, and order propane if you use it.
- Store firewood at least 30 feet from your house.
WINDOWS AND DOORS
- Use weather stripping around doors and caulk around windows to prevent cold air from coming in.
- Replace cracked glass in windows or doors.
ROOF, GUTTERS and DOWNSPOUTS
- Clean out gutters to clear away debris.
- Consider installing leaf guards or gutter helmets to keep debris out, and put extensions on your downspouts to direct water away from your home.
- Replace any worn roof shingles or tiles.
- Check flashing to make sure that no water can enter your home.
- Drain gas from your lawnmower.
- Service or get a tune-up for your snow blower.
- Clear and store warm weather gardening equipment.
- Rake away debris and vegetation from the foundation, and seal up gaps and cracks.
SMOKE AND CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS
- Test your detectors to make sure they work. Replace fire extinguishers that are older than 10 years.
- Replace the batteries when you change the clocks – it’s a great way to remember to do it every year.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector near your furnace and/or water heater, and on each floor of your home.
- Know where your water main is in case of emergency!
- Insulate exposed plumbing pipes.
- Drain air conditioner pipes and turn off the water shut-off valve if there is one.
LANDSCAPING AND OUTDOORS
- Trim tree branches that hang too close to the house.
- Seal driveways, brick patios and wood decks.
- Enjoy the crispness of the Fall season, and with your house in good shape, the cooler temperatures will be a breeze!
For information on this article, or if you have any real estate questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me today.
Attention Georgetown Square Owners: I have qualified and serious buyers. If you are considering selling please call me.
Kellie has consistently been an award-winning producer in her field. She has a vast knowledge of Guilderland and the market. Kellie’s network of local resources and professionals will help ensure a smooth and worry-free transaction for you and your family.
Kellie is a proud gradute of Siena College and a life long resident of the Capital District. She and her family live in Guilderland. She has two children in the Guilderland School District and is actively involved in many community organizations. To help give back, Kellie will be donating $100 from every closing in 2018 to the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Together we can help defeat childhood cancer.